Reporting Concerns About Driver Fitness
Concerns regarding drivers who are a risk to the public can be reported to Alberta Transportation. The report must provide as much detail as possible and be signed by the individual making the report.
The report must include the following information:
• Date of complaint
• Full name of unsafe driver
• Address of unsafe driver
• Unsafe driver’s licence number, if known
• Birth date or approximate age of unsafe driver, if known
• Specific concerns about the driver describing why they are a safety risk
• Any known medical or physical conditions that may affect safe driving
• Name, signature and phone number of the complainant
• The complainant should indicate whether they wish the information submitted to be held in confidence
Concerns can be sent by mail, email or fax to:
Alberta Transportation, Driver Fitness and Monitoring
Main Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 - 98 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T6B 2X3
Once a complaint is received, a complete file review will be conducted and a decision will be made as to what is required to determine fitness to drive.
The Registrar has the authority to require a person to submit to a medical or physical examination, and may place special conditions or restrictions on a driver’s licence or suspend driving privileges. These actions will only be taken where there are reasonable and probable grounds to believe that the person is a safety risk to him or herself or to the motoring public.
In accordance with Section 60.1 of the Traffic Safety Act, information received relating to unsafe drivers remains confidential and is not disclosed. As per Section 17 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the circumstances and/or actions surrounding the subject of your complaint will not be disclosed.