A- A+

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I do not wish to drive anymore, what should I do?

You may attend any Alberta Registry Agent office to surrender your operator’s licence and obtain a Class 8 photo ID card if you require photo identification.

2. Why do I have to disclose my medical condition?

In Alberta, an individual is required by law to report any changes in health that may affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. Click here for a list of common medical conditions.

3. After my disclosure, what happens? 

You will be contacted by mail and asked to submit medical documentation referencing your medical and/or physical condition.

4. How long does it take for my file to be reviewed?

Due to the complexity of some cases, it is expected your case will be reviewed within approximately 6 weeks.

5. How am I notified when a decision has been made? 

You will be contacted by letter acknowledging receipt of the information and advising of the status and/or any other additional requirements.

6. How can I submit my medical documents?

Documents may be sent by mail, email or fax to:

Alberta Transportation, Driver Fitness and Monitoring
Main Floor, Twin Atria Building
4999 - 98 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta, T6B 2X3
Fax: 780-422-6612
E-mail: Driver.Fitness@gov.ab.ca

7. How long after a seizure can I return to driving?

It will depend on the class of licence you hold. Alberta Transportation uses the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators Medical Standards for Drivers as a guideline in establishing basic minimum medical and visual qualifications for safe driving. Please contact Driver Fitness and Monitoring for more information regarding your specific situation.

8. How long before renewal can I get my medical done?

A medical can be used to apply for or renew your licence, provided it has been completed in the past six (6) months.

9. How long is my medical good for?

Once a medical has been approved, it is good for 1 year from the date of approval.

10. My doctor has referred me to DriveABLE. What is it and why?

Healthcare professionals may refer their patients for a driving assessment if there are concerns regarding an individual’s medical fitness to drive. These assessments are conducted by an occupational therapist, driving rehabilitation specialist, or an independent assessment agency such as DriveABLE. DriveABLE is a private company and is not affiliated with the Government of Alberta. The assessment results are reviewed by the physician with their patient and can be provided to Alberta Transportation.

11. Are there options other than DriveABLE?

Yes. There are various driving assessments an individual may be referred for. It is recommended you discuss with your physician which assessment is right for you.