- To ensure the safety of the traveling public.
- To minimize the inconvenience to the traveling public.
- To minimize damage to the roadway infrastructure.
- To facilitate the movement of commodities which are non-divisible, deemed impractical to divide, or uneconomical to transport at legal dimensions.
- To establish and communicate to the carrier, a set of conditions for the safe movement of the load.
Some documents on this site require Acrobat Reader 4.0 or better, available for free from Adobe.
Permits may be available for the movement of oversize and overweight vehicles and their loads. Conditions are applied that minimize infrastructure damage and enhance safety to the public.
New! Liquid Natural Gas Overweight Permits (pdf)
Permit Application Methods (including agency list) (pdf)
Online Permit Applications
For more information about this program, call the Central Permit Office:
Toll Free in North America 1-800-662-7138
Local call (403) 342-7138
Fax (403) 340-5278
Road Ban Information
Current and upcoming road bans
Toll free: 1-855-ROADBAN (1-855-762-3226)
Fax polling: (403) 340-5092
Note: This electronic service is meant to be a simplified guide to certain parts of the acts and regulations, and not a substitute for them. Alberta Transportation, Transport Engineering Branch, is not responsible for any omissions in the following documents. It is the responsibility of the transporter to consult the regulations for the exact requirements before moving shipments.