A- A+

Frequently Asked Questions


For detailed information on the answers provided see Sections in Prorate Information Guide.


1. What is IRP?

The International Registration Plan (IRP) is a cooperative agreement among jurisdictions for registering vehicles that travel in two or more member jurisdictions. Section: General Information - What is the International Registration Plan (IRP)?


Prorate fees are calculated by the percentage of total distance traveled within each jurisdiction. The alternative to prorating would be to purchase trip permits. Section: Introduction to Prorate Services.

Example of Prorating vs. Permitting (February 2012)






























SAVINGS $3647.50

  • In the example above fees are based on a vehicle value of $150,000.00, purchased in November 2011.
  • A 12 month registration fee in Alberta at 63,500 kg is $3446.00.
  • Permit costs are based on 6 return trips at a GVW of 63,500 kg.
  • Permit fees do not include sales tax; however, sales tax may be assessed. Check with the jurisdiction.
  • Some jurisdictions restrict the number of permits you may purchase. For further information contact each jurisdiction. Section: Directories.
  • Total Prorate fee includes sales tax and registration.

Apportioned Registration Does Not:

  • Waive or exempt a truck operator from obtaining operating authority from any jurisdiction in which the apportioned vehicle travels, or
  • Waive or replace the requirements of the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), or
  • Allow registrants to exceed the maximum length, width, height or axle limitations (go to Legal Weights and Measures - Regulation Summary to see a quick reference to Alberta's regulations for common equipment), or
  • Exempt a client from filing the necessary proof of liability coverage in each jurisdiction where required.


2. Who can apply?

Clients can apply for IRP registration if:

  1. Traveling in Alberta and at least one other member jurisdiction, and
  2. The criteria on the form Established Place of Business Questionaire is met, and
  3. Operating one or more vehicle(s). Section: General Information - Apportionable Vehicle.


3. Can vehicles under 11,794 kg / 26,000 lbs be prorated?


Vehicles having a gross vehicle weight of 11,794 kg / 26,000 lbs, or less may be registered under the Plan at the option of the registrant. Section: General Information - Apportionable Vehicle.


4. Can a vehicle with a farm plate be prorated?
  • Farm registration is recognized by Canadian jurisdictions. Section: Glossary - CAVR.
  • If using a farm vehicle for commercial purposes a commercial registration is required.
  • Clients who choose to register their vehicle for both farming and commercial business activities must use clear fuel commercially.
  • Farm registration is recognized by some US jurisdictions, check with the jurisdiction in which travel is intended. Section: Directory.


5. Fees?

Fees are calculated using the percentage of total distance traveled within each jurisdiction.


Prorate Services requires all information below to provide a quote for one vehicle.

  • Fees will vary based on the following:
    • effective date of application
    • estimated kilometres per required jurisdiction for a 12 month period
    • combined gross vehicle weight (GVW) of the truck and trailer or bus
    • tare weight of the vehicle
    • capitalized cost of vehicle
    • vehicle purchase date
    • year of vehicle
    • vehicle type
    • fuel type.

If a quote is required for more than one vehicle:

Can I pay Quarterly?


  • IRP is an annual program.
  • Fees are based on the number of months remaining in the registration year.
  • Registration expiries are staggered.


Refunds are based on the number of months remaining in the registration year.

  • Cancellations must be processed as soon as possible; a delay could result in a reduction of the refund amount.
  • Refunds (cheques) are issued to the registrant.
  • Process for obtaining a refund:
    1. Complete and submit a supplement using Online Services, or
    2. Complete Section D on Vehicle - Form 2 and submit to Prorate Services.
    3. The registrant will be sent a fee notice that will show projected refund amounts.
    4. The fee notice, registration and cab card must be taken to an Alberta Registry Agent for processing.
    5. Once the Registry Agent has processed the cancellation the registrant may receive cheques from the Canadian jurisdictions that were prorated. Projected refunds are for the registration portion only, sales tax is not included.


6. How to apply?

To set up a new IRP account complete and submit the New Client Package with backup documents.

All prorate transactions have to be invoiced by Prorate Services prior to payment at a Registry, with the exception of:

  • duplicate registration, or
  • tab replacement.


7. Can applications be submitted online?

Online Services allows existing clients to complete and submit the following:

  • annual registration renewal
  • delete vehicle (or full cancel)
  • modify vehicle
  • new plate
  • document replacement
  • add jurisdiction.

Register for Online Services at http://www.travis.gov.ab.ca/.


8. How are jurisdictions added to an existing fleet?
  • Complete and submit a supplement using Online Services, or
  • Submit the following:
      1. Login and click Prorate IRP - Online Portal,
      2. Click on Reports,
      3. Click on Vehicles by Carrier and Fleet Year.


9. Where are completed applications submitted?

If not using Online Services, submit completed applications using one of the following methods:

Email: Prorate@gov.ab.ca
Fax: (403) 297-2917

If you need assistance call (403) 297-2920. To call toll-free in Alberta dial 310-0000 first.


10. What are the record keeping requirements?

You must keep records. Section: Audit Requirements.

Summary forms are provided for reference.


11. What is the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)?

IFTA's purpose is to simplify the reporting and payment of fuel taxes. Section: General Information - International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).


12. What is required for International travel?

It is the responsibility of the client to ensure that they have all the necessary documents when crossing jurisdictional borders. Section: Directories.

Below are some common requirements:

  • Clients are required to contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) at (207) 624-9000 or http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/. A federal United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) number is mandatory when traveling into the USA.
  • Clients traveling into the USA require Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) http://www.ucr.in.gov/. If you have any questions contact Montana IRP office at (406) 444-2998.
  • US Federal Heavy Vehicle Use Tax applicable on vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 24,948 kgs/55,000 lbs and greater. Form 2290 may be obtained online at www.irs.gov/trucker.
  • All prorated clients are required to have a Safety Fitness certificate with "Federal" operating status, contact (403) 340-5444.

For some other requirements see the following Transport Canada web sites:


13. Is your vehicle imported?

For requirements go to http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/1493.cfm. More information is available from Registrar of Imported Vehicles http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx.


14. Where are Alberta Vehicle Inspection facilities (weigh scales) located?

Go to Commercial Vehicle Enforcement https://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_and_services/public_security/Pages/CommercialVehicleEnforcement.aspx and click on the adobe document Province-Wide Contact Information and scroll to the location you need.


  • Call (403) 297-2920, toll-free in Alberta dial 310-0000 first.
  • E-mail prorate@gov.ab.ca
  • Office hours are 8:15 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday.