A- A+

Accident Reporting Requirements

Who is required to report accidents?

All provincially regulated railways are required to report accidents / incidents to the Railway Administrator as per the Railway (Alberta) Act, Part 3 section 38(1) and Railway Regulations AR 177/2002 Part 3 section 35(1).

When is an accident reportable?

Immediately after an accident the railway must verbally report the details to the Co-ordination and Information Center (CIC). Their 24 hour toll free number is 1-800-272-9600 or 780-422-9600.

What is reportable?

The railway must report the following:

  • main track collisions or derailments
  • highway grade crossing collisions
  • accidents involving a trespasser, employee or passenger
  • fire or explosion involving railway property
  • collision between rolling stock and an object
  • non-main-track collision or derailments
  • collision involving a track unit
  • collision between rolling stock and an abandoned vehicle and;
  • incidents involving dangerous goods require an immediate report under the Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations

What is not reportable?

The railway does not have to report the following:

a) minor injuries not involving lost time or a visit to a physician.

b) minor equipment damage such as paint scrapes.

Is a written report required?

Yes - provide details of the accident  using the Industrial Railway Accident Report and submit this to the Railway Administrator within 30 days of the incident occurring.

Is there a reporting form that has to be used?

Yes - a copies of the reporting forms are available at Railway Incident Report (pdf 1 MB).

What happens to this information?

It is reviewed by a Rail Safety Officer and then entered into the Industrial Railway confidential provincial rail safety data base and then used in identifying trends in the industry.