A- A+

Rail Line Abandonment

What government has jurisdiction when a railway wishes to discontinue and abandon railway track?

Track belonging to either CN or Canadian Pacific (CP) fall under federal jurisdiction.

Provincially regulated public railways that plan to abandon track must use and abide by the Railway Regulations AR 177/2002 Part 4 “Cessations of Operations”.

Where can I find a copy of the AR 177/2002?

Railway Regulations AR 177/2002

If the railway track is owned by CN or CPR, who do I contact?

Contact the railway companies’ real estate department in your area. Also see Transport Canada

If I still have more questions, who do I contact?

 Knut Ohm, Rail Safety Officer at toll free 310-0000 then 780-427-7572