Green Transit Incentives Program (GreenTRIP)
New federal funding will support some GreenTRIP projects
Third call for GreenTRIP applications closed
The Government of Canada has pledged more than $347 million for public transit infrastructure projects across Alberta. The Government of Alberta is also committing funding to support these projects. This funding is in addition to the significant contributions Alberta will provide as part of the third call for GreenTRIP applications, which closed on August 31, 2016.
Applications for GreenTRIP funding are now being reviewed and approved projects will be announced in the coming weeks. Eligible Alberta municipalities that meet the criteria will have access to $424 million remaining in GreenTRIP to support transit projects such as buses, park-and-ride facilities and LRT systems. Projects eligible for GreenTRIP were expanded to align with the federal Public Transit Infrastructure Fund (PTIF) to provide flexibility to municipalities to maximize the use of both programs. Municipalities with projects that are not eligible for PTIF support may still be eligible for GreenTRIP funding.
Of the $424 million that remains from GreenTRIPís original $2-billion budget:
- $130 million is available to Calgary region municipalities to complete their total allocation of $800 million.
- Other municipalities outside of the Calgary and the Capital (Edmonton) regions have access to $294 million of the original $400-million total.
The Capital regionís $800 million has been fully allocated.
Project submissions are assessed, in part, on local or regional transportation priorities, as well as the priorities of the Government of Alberta, including supporting public transit as a safe, affordable, accessible and environmentally sustainable transportation option.
All submissions must include a comprehensive business case substantiating the need and benefits of the project, outlining the operational sustainability, and demonstrating how the benefits, including the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, will be accomplished and verified.
For more information about the program refer to:
The $2-billion GreenTRIP fund is one of the programs municipalities can access to support local priorities that provide sustainable public transit alternatives. Municipalities can apply for GreenTRIP funding to help purchase transit vehicles and technologies, build transit terminals and expand light rail transit services that increase ridership and reduce traffic congestion.
Albertans are already seeing some of the benefits of GreenTRIPís nearly $1.6 billion investment since the first call for applications in 2010.
Under GreenTRIP, up to a total of $2 billion is available over the life of the program. Public transit projects are eligible for cost-sharing. The funding available under GreenTRIP has been allocated as follows:
- 40 per cent to the Capital (Edmonton) Region ($800 million)
- 40 per cent to the Calgary Region ($800 million)
- 20 per cent to other municipalities in the province ($400 million)
There is no guarantee that any specific project or project type will be approved for funding.
For purposes of the GreenTRIP, "public transit" means:
A transportation service available to the public in an urban and surrounding area, using vehicles designed for use by multiple individuals, with fares, schedules, and routes that are planned and available in advance.
The GreenTRIP is available to the owner/operator of public transit services, which may include municipalities, regional entities/authorities, non-profit organizations and the private sector.
GreenTRIP Project Announcements
- Alberta supports public transit with third call for GreenTRIP projects - February 25, 2016
- More green transit options for Grande Prairie residents - December 14, 2015
- Capital Region communities receive $21.4 million for green transit - December 11, 2015
- GreenTRIP brings transit revitalization to Medicine Hat - November 10, 2015
- GreenTRIP supports transit expansion in Whitecourt - October 9, 2015
- GreenTRIP means new buses for Lethbridge Transit, paratransit expansion - October 2, 2015
- Clean, green transit en route to Red Deer - September 28, 2015
- GreenTRIP puts Peace River on the transit map - September 17, 2015
- Calgary region transit gets $187 million GreenTRIP boost - September 4, 2015
- GreenTRIP Round Two starts its journey in St. Albert - September 2, 2015
- Alberta calls for more green transit projects - April 15, 2014
- Alberta delivers on Edmonton LRT funding - March 11, 2014
- GreenTRIP fuels transit from Leduc to Airport and Edmonton - March 26, 2013
- C-Line route map (pdf)
- Calgary receives nearly half a billion provincial GreenTRIP dollars for mass transit projects - December 11, 2012
- West LRT opens today - December 07, 2012 (City of Calgary)
- North LRT breaks through to Churchill Station - November 16, 2012 (City of Edmonton)
- GreenTRIP adds more rides to Airdrie transit - January 25, 2012
- GreenTRIP enhances public transit service in Medicine Hat - September 16, 2011
- GreenTRIP provides $12.1 million for Red Deer transit buses - September 15, 2011
- GreenTRIP supports public transit system in Cochrane - August 9, 2011
- GreenTRIP enhances public transit service in Lethbridge - August 8, 2011
- GreenTRIP expands public transit system in Fort McMurray - July 29, 2011
- GreenTRIP provides $109,000 for public transit improvements in Hinton - July 20, 2011
- GreenTRIP provides $900,000 for new public transit buses in Banff and Canmore - June 23, 2011
- GreenTRIP provides $1.1 million for new public transit buses in Grande Prairie - June 9, 2011
- GreenTRIP provides $13.6 million for Strathcona County transit terminal - April 20, 2011
- Edmonton LRT NAIT line announced as first project approved under GreenTRIP - April 5, 2011
Updated September 2016
- GreenTRIP FAQs
- GreenTRIP Procedures and Guidelines
- GreenTRIP Project Submission Form
- Project and Cost Eligibility Criteria
- Project Funding Agreement
- Final Project Report Guideline
- Project Benefits Report Guide
- GHG Reduction Calculation Guide
- Useful Links
- Progress Claim Report
- GreenTRIP Annual Benefits Summary Report (Suggested Template Only)