Stoney Trail Extension Northeast Freeway
The Stoney Trail Extension Northeast Freeway, which forms the northeast link of the Ring Road, extends east from the Deerfoot Trail (Highway 2) to the eastern city limits, then south to 17 Avenue SE (Highway 1A).
Alberta Transportation undertook this portion of the ring road in a Public-Private Partnership. The contract was awarded to Stoney Trail General Partnership. Construction began in spring 2007 with the project opened to traffic on November 2, 2009. The project includes 21 kilometres of new four and six lane divided freeway and six interchanges. (The 96 Avenue Interchange is not currently open to traffic, this partial interchange will open when 96 Avenue is extended to the east of Stoney Trail by the City of Calgary).
Project Opened to Traffic – November 2, 2009
- An open house was held at the Sunridge Mall on March 29, 2007. Please click here for the information provided at this open house.
- Previous open houses were held in June 2004 and November 2005. For more information click here.
- Calgary ring road's northern sections open to traffic - November 2, 2009
- Public-Private Partnership Announcement for NE Ring Road - February 2006
- Northeast Calgary Ring Road Starts in Spring 2007 - February 22, 2007
- Request for Qualification (pdf 2.70MB)
- Request for Proposal (pdf 4.14MB)
- Design/Build/Finance/Operate Agreement and Schedules
- Contract Team List (pdf 15.73KB)
- 17 Avenue SE to 32 Avenue NE (pdf 1.24MB)
- 32 Avenue NE to Airport Trail (pdf 1.06MB)
- Airport Trail to 68 Street NE (pdf 1.01MB)
- 60 Street NE to Deerfoot Trail NE (pdf 4.87MB)
- NE Stoney Trail 96th Ave to Country Hills Blvd Sept 2009 (pdf 261KB)
- NE Stoney Trail at Deerfoot Trail Nov 2009 (pdf 320KB)
- NE Stoney Trail McKnight Blvd Sept 2009 (pdf 194KB)
- Métis Trail September 2008 (pdf 121KB)
- Trans Canada Highway September 2008 (pdf 120KB)
- Country Hills Boulevard NE September 2008 (pdf 111KB)
- McKnight Boulevard NE September 2008 (pdf 120KB)
- Deerfoot Trail Interchange October 2008 (pdf 116KB)
- Deerfoot Trail Bridge October 2008 (pdf 177KB)
- Functional Planning Open Houses - Environmental Assessment - November 2005 (pdf 31K)
- Functional Planning Review - June 2004 (pdf 55K)
- East Freeway Initial and Ultimate Stage Plans
- Past Open Houses (pdf 32K)
- Transportation and Utility Corridor Web Page
- Noise Modeling Study
- Noise Monitoring Study