The advanced road test
The advanced road test determines
whether a probationary driver has gained
the necessary advanced driving skills and
experience under challenging conditions
to become a fully licensed driver. You
will need to pass this test to exit the
Graduated Licensing Program and be a full
class 5 (non-GDL) driver.
This road test is approximately
60 minutes, including your driver
examiner’s pre-test instructions and
summary of your results. The advanced
road test will also include:
• a variety of intersection types, including
uncontrolled ‘T’ intersections
• high speed roadways of 80 to 100 km/hr
• merging on the highway, with
acceleration and deceleration lanes
• high volume traffic areas
• parking – an angle or perpendicular
park. The advanced test does include
a parallel and hill park.
Some common reasons for
not passing the road tests
• Exceeding the minimum number of
points for errors.
Regardless of the number of points
for errors, the following are some of the
reasons for automatic failure:
• Exceeding the speed limit or driving
too fast for the conditions.
• Failing to stop completely before
proceeding through an intersection
controlled by a stop sign, or before
turning right on a red light.
• Failing to yield the right of way at an
intersection or during a lane change.
• Obstructing traffic by driving too
slowly or stopping unnecessarily.
• Climbing over the curb while parking,
or being unable to park legally in
• Failing to slow or observe adequately at
uncontrolled intersections (you must be
prepared to yield to drivers to your right).
When you pass a road test you must
take the road test permit you purchased
to do the test to a registry agent to ensure
your driver's licence is updated. The test
permit is not a driver’s licence.
Types of vehicles
for licence class
Class 7 (GDL)
A person 14 years of age or older may
apply for a Learners Driver’s Licence.
A parent or guardian must give
consent on the application if the person
applying is under 18 years of age.For
learning and while accompanied by a
full licensed driver, the holder of a class
7 driver’s licence may operate, the
• a vehicle or vehicle-trailer combination
that the holder of a Class 5 driver’s
licence may operate
• a motorcycle (must be 16 years of
age or older when learning with
a supervisor who holds a Class 6 non
• a moped