Before passing another vehicle on a
two-lane road, do the following:
• Pass only where it is permitted.
• Keep a safe following distance behind
the vehicle you intend to pass.
• Pass vehicles only when there is no
oncoming traffic for a safe distance.
• Check your outside and inside rear
• Do a shoulder check to the left to look
for vehicles that may be passing you on
the left. These vehicles may be in your
• Turn on your left signal light.
• Before you attempt to pass, check
again that there is no oncoming traffic
and that you can complete the pass
while it is still permitted.
• It is illegal to exceed the speed limit
when passing another vehicle.
• Once the vehicle you have passed is
visible in your inside rear view mirror, do
a shoulder check to the right.
• Turn on your right signal light.
• Return to your original lane while
maintaining your speed.
• Ensure your signal light is turned off.
Passing on a two lane highway.
When being passed on a two lane
highway, help the driver passing you by
staying in your lane. Move to the right side
of your lane to give the other driver a better
view of the road ahead.
When is it illegal to pass
Do not pass when:
• oncoming vehicles are too close. If you
have any doubts about safely completing
the pass, do not attempt to pass
• a solid yellow line is on your side of the
• a sign indicates a no passing zone
• you are in a school or playground zone
during school or playground zone times
• another vehicle is stopped to allow
a pedestrian to cross at a marked or
• a school bus has flashing red lights
and the stop arm extended indicating
the school bus has stopped. (It is not
the safest choice to pass a school
bus that has flashing amber lights,
indicating that it is reducing speed,
because it may be stopping to allow
passengers on and off the school bus.
If you do proceed, do it with caution.)
The portion of a primary highway that lies
between the edge of the roadway and the
first lane of travel, sometimes referred to
as the shoulder, is for drivers who need to
stop due to an urgent situation or