General rules for
assisting a person
with a wheelchair
• Ensure that the passenger’s feet do not
slip from the wheelchair foot rests.
• Push the wheelchair at a normal walking
speed. Watch at least three metres (10
feet) in front of you and along the sides
of the wheelchair.
• Watch for small cracks or bumps in your
path and for other people and objects.
Keep your pace slow. Gently tilt the
wheelchair over large bumps or cracks.
• Judge distances by the front of the foot
pedals rather than the front of the seat.
• Watch for loose handle grips or
armrests that are not locked into place.
• Be careful not to bang the wheelchair or
handle it roughly.
• Apply the wheelchair brakes when the
wheelchair is stopped.
You can find more detailed information
regarding transporting persons with
disabilities by contacting:
Strategic Policy Branch
For toll free service from anywhere in
Alberta, call 310-0000.