A- A+

Previous Page

Table Of Contents

Next Page

For information on the identification
requirements visit www.servicealberta.
gov.ab.ca/1305.cfm, or contact a registry
agent at www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca.

A driverís licence may only be
issued to residents of Alberta. A resident
is a person lawfully entitled to be in
Canada, who makes their home in Alberta
and is ordinarily present in Alberta.
Applicants originating from outside
Canada or the United States must
produce suitable immigration documents
to be considered as residents.

Parental consent requirement

If you are under the age of 18, and are
applying for a driverís licence for the
first time, your parent or legal guardian,
who must show proof of guardianship,
must accompany you to a registry
office to sign a consent on your licence

Parents or legal guardians have the
right to withdraw their consent in writing
at any time until the person reaches the
age of 18 years. If they do, the driverís
licence privileges will be suspended.

The signature of your parent or legal
guardian is not required if you can provide
documentation that you are married or

license for tourists
and visitors

A person visiting Alberta who is authorized
to drive a motor vehicle of a particular
class or type under a valid licence or
permit issued outside Alberta is not
required to hold a current and valid
driverís licence if the person drives the
same type or class of motor vehicle while
visiting in Alberta.

New Alberta

From other places in Canada

People who have recently moved to
Alberta may use their valid driverís
licence from outside of Alberta for the first
90 days of their residency.

They must apply for an Alberta
driverís licence and give their old
licence to an Alberta registry agent office
within those 90 days. It is illegal to hold
more than one driverís licence.

A driverís licence from another
jurisdiction within Canada is accepted as
the same class without testing. Applicants
for class 1, 2 or 4 licences must provide a
medical report and pass a vision

From the United States

ē Licence holders from the United
States, other than those in the
class 5, 6 and 7, must complete all


16† A Driver's Guide to Operation, Safety and Licensing†

Previous Page

Table Of Contents

Next Page