A- A+

Frequently Asked Questions


1. I have received a "cautionary" notice in the mail, how many demerit points have I got on my driver’s license?

Go to any Alberta registry agent and purchase a Driver’s Abstract. This will show you the convictions and the associated points.

2. I am suspended in another province but now living in Alberta. I would like an Alberta driver’s licence. What should I do?

If your license is suspended in another province you must contact that province and clear their suspension before you can be licensed in Alberta.

3. Where can I pay my tickets?

You can pay your tickets at any provincial court or an Alberta registry agent. If your ticket is not overdue and you pay at the registry office you will have to bring your yellow copy of the ticket and pay a service fee of $9.45.

4. My license is being suspended for too many demerits (Demerit Suspension). How do I know if I qualify for the "Restricted Operator’s Licence Program"?

You are eligible to participate in the program if you meet all of the following criteria:

• You have a valid Alberta driver’s licence at the time of receiving your notice of pending suspension.
• Your driver’s licence is not a Class 7 (learner’s licence) or Class 5 or 6 probationary licence.
• Your suspension was imposed because of accumulating demerit points.
• You have no other active or pending suspensions or any types of warrants.
• You have not served any demerit or Criminal Code suspension within the past two years.
• You have paid in full all outstanding fines and non-alcohol reinstatement fees.
• You have met any other reinstatement conditions.
        Click here for Program Details

5. How much are the reinstatement fees? 

For a non-criminal code suspension, the reinstatement fee is $50 plus the registry service charge. The Criminal Code reinstatement fee is $200 plus registry fee.

6. How do I find out what my condition codes mean?

Any registry office will have a list of condition codes and will give you that information or you can call Driver Fitness and Monitoring at 780- 427-8230 and select option 3. For toll-free calls in Alberta, dial 310-000 first.

7. What is the fax number for the Driver Fitness and Monitoring?

780-422-6612. See the link below for complete contact information.

8. How can I get information for my son/daughter/husband/wife etc., when they cannot call for themselves? 

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act if a person is 18 years or older, they are required to call unless written consent has been mailed or faxed to the Driver Fitness and Monitoring. See the link below for complete contact information.

9. What is the phone number for the Impaired Driver’s Course?

Call the Alberta Motor Association at 780- 430-8811 or 1-800-272-5698.

10. I am now living in another province and they want a letter from Alberta saying how long I have been driving. Where do I get this information?

For a "confirmation" letter you need to contact an Alberta registry agent. Alberta registry agents represent the network of community-based service centres, offering one-stop shopping for a wide range of registration, information, and licensing services on behalf of Alberta Government Services. You can search the list of registry agents on the AGS website at the following URL: http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/  For additional information you can call the AGS Call Center at 780-427-7013.

11. Where can I take a defensive driving course? 

Look in the SuperPages under driver instruction or driver training.

For more information, please contact: 

Driver Fitness and Monitoring