Information Bulletins - Driver Distractions
Distracted drivers pose a danger on Albertaís busy roads
Minimize distractions and avoid multitasking while on the road
Edmonton... With busy lives and a variety of mobile technology at our fingertips, itís common for drivers to multitask and get distracted while on the road. However, driving is a demanding activity which requires a motoristís undivided attention. When a driverís concentration is diverted from the road even for a split second it can have very serious consequences.
To minimize distractions while on the road drivers are reminded of the following:
- Pre-set the climate control, radio, GPS or CD. Do not make adjustments unless the vehicle is stopped.
- Make sure children are comfortable and properly buckled up. Prepare safe activities for the trip so they won't get restless.
- Know the intended route of travel before leaving. Do not try to read a map while driving.
- Finish grooming before leaving home. Do not rely on the time in the vehicle for combing hair, shaving or applying make-up.
- If tempted to read while driving, keep newspapers and other reading materials out of sight and reach.
- Make sure there is nothing in the vehicle that will slide around or tip over while on the road.
- Use a cell phone only if the vehicle is safely stopped in an off-road location, not the shoulder of a highway. If the phone rings while driving, have a passenger take the call or let it go to voice mail.
- Pull over to eat or drink.
- Avoid emotionally charged conversations, either with passengers or on a cell phone. These conversations may lead to erratic driving behavior.
- Never take notes while driving. Always find a safe place to stop before writing things down.
It is important for drivers to be prepared for unsafe actions of other motorists or poor driving conditions. Keep Albertaís roads safe by being alert and driving defensively.
For more information about traffic safety, contact the Traffic Safety Office at (780) 422-8839 or visit http://www.saferoads.com/.
- 30 -
Media enquiries may be directed to:
Office of Traffic Safety
To call toll-free within Alberta dial 310-0000.