Construction of the Highway 2/Gaetz Avenue interchange is underway and is estimated to be complete in fall 2018, weather dependent.
Southbound Gaetz Avenue at Highway 2 is closed and this closure will remain in place for the duration of the project. Traffic is being diverted to 19 Street, then Highway 2A (Taylor Drive) in order to access Highway 2 southbound. This closure is necessary to construct the new Gaetz Avenue bridge and new Highway 2 alignment.
2016 construction progress:
- Southbound Gaetz Avenue to Highway 2 was closed in September 2016 to facilitate construction of the new Gaetz Avenue bridge and new Highway 2 alignment.
- Temporary traffic signals were installed at the Highway 2A (Taylor Drive) interchange ramp to provide detour access to Highway 2 southbound.
- Grading work began in the median of Highway 2.
- Foundation piles were driven for the Taylor Drive and Gaetz Avenue bridges.
- A noise berm adjacent to Waskasoo Estates was constructed.
- Other work included: wick drain installation in the northwest area of the interchange, storm pipe installation and temporary retaining walls were constructed
What to expect in 2017:
The following work is planned for 2017. Please watch for various traffic detours throughout the 2017 construction season.
- Work on or around Taylor Drive to include:
- Building up reinforced fill on both sides of Taylor Drive to stabilize the embankment for the new bridges; and
- Construction of the abutment, girder placement and concrete deck/barriers for the northbound Taylor Drive bridges
- Construction and placement of the abutments and girders for the Gaetz Avenue bridge
- Construction of the north and south collector-distributor roads
- Reconstruction of the corner of Spruce Street and Gasoline Alley East
- Construction of the Leva Avenue roundabout