Welcome To The Alberta Transportation Rail Safety Web Site
ALBERTA RAIL SAFETY EMAIL NOTIFICATIONStay up to date with the Alberta Transportation Rail Safety Web with notifications of new Safety Bulletins and Circulars, and other rail news.
NOTE: Click below to subscribe or unsubscribe to this service.
Alberta has approximately 310 industrial railways, five heritage railways and two public railways which are provincially regulated. Railways are an integral part of the province’s transportation system facilitating the movement of 70 million tons of goods within the province each year. This includes petroleum, forest and agriculture products as well as other manufactured and consumer products.
Provincially regulated railways operate in accordance with the Railway (Alberta) Act. Alberta Transportation, Dangerous Goods and Rail Safety branch is responsible for administering the Act and associated rules, regulations and standards.
Some of the areas rail safety is responsible for:
- inspecting new construction and issuing approvals for construction
- approving applications for operating certificates
- conducting compliance reviews of operations including training, procedures and company inspections
- conducting inspections of rolling stock, crossing signals, dangerous goods loading racks and track
- investigation of incidents
- legislative review