1 Note: One sample for the first two hours of production; one immediately after, remaining samples at random over the rest of the day. Full production is considered when a Lot has more than eight hours of plant production.
2 Note: On QC Acceptance Lots a minimum of 1 asphalt content is to be done using test procedures specified in Table 3.53.4 TEST METHODS ON SUPERPAVE MANAGED QA PROJECTS. Estimated asphalt contents are also to be determined based upon the individual measured Maximum Specific Gravity test values of the loose mix samples (test procedure under development).
Testing requirements as per MQA specifications for Superpave mixes are briefly summarized as follows:
- Consultant to sample loose mix from behind the paver for the formation of Gyratory specimens and determination of Maximum Specific Gravity (Gmm).
- Contractor to obtain core samples at site locations determined by the Consultant.
- For QA Acceptance Lots, testing for asphalt content and gradation is to be conducted in a timely manner however this may be done in an off-site Lab located outside of a one hour travel radius. All other testing is to be done in a laboratory located no more than a one-hour drive from the centre of the project.
- All lots are to be identified on the Lot Paving Report as being either a QA Acceptance Lot or a QC Acceptance Lot. Contractor quality control test results for asphalt content and gradation are to be reported on the Lot Paving Report for QC Acceptance Lots. For QC Acceptance Lots, estimated asphalt contents are to be determined based upon the measured Gmm values of loose mix and reported on the Lot Paving Report. On QC Acceptance Lots a minimum of one asphalt content is also to be done using test procedures specified in Table 3.53.4.
- The minimum number of QA Lots in which full QA testing including asphalt content and gradations is required shall be as follows:
The first two Lots of production for each mix type used, plus
a minimum of one additional Lot for each 60,000 tonnes, or portion thereof, of total ACP contract tender tonnage, plus
one additional Lot of top lift production, for each mix type, if two or more lifts are specified.